X-sailing is possible on many different surfaces – grass playing fields, tarmac car-parks, and of course the hard sand of the beach, when the tide is out. We’ve chosen West Sands at St Andrews for our Scottish X-sail events because it’s a fantastic long flat beach, which can take the wind from any direction.
X-sail X-perience in Scotland
An introduction to X-sailing in a 2 hour group session for beginners. You'll quickly learn the ropes and will be able to test yourself against your friends. Group size can vary between 6 and 20 people with one X-sail for every two people.
- £35 per person
- Available for all ages over 8 years old
- We have different sail sizes for different sized people
- All safety equipment provided
COURSES RUN FROM MAY TO OCTOBER - we have no availability now until Spring 2013.
This video (which opens in a new window) is made by our friends at Absolute Jersey. It gives a great idea of our courses too – they’re just better than us at making videos.
If you’ve booked a course - Please read the instructions below
Our X-sail events take place on the West Sands beach at St Andrews, when the tide is out. It depends on the wind being strong enough, so you must call to hear our recorded message the evening before your session to check whether it will go ahead.
- We'll cancel if the wind is not strong enough, saving you an unnecessary trip.
- You can then rebook for an alternative date.
- Rain or snow is OK, only the wind is important.
What to bring
You’ll be on an exposed beach in windy conditions, and it might even be raining. Please come prepared with:
- Warm clothes
- Waterproof jacket and trousers
- Good stout footwear
- Eyewear – sunglasses, old ski goggles or safety specs
- A camera to take pictures and videos for our “Biggest Grin” competition
- Food and drink – but no alcohol please.
- There are no toilets at our part of the beach – use the toilets you’ll see in the car-park as you approach along the West Sands Rd
How to get there
Please arrive with plenty of time - at least 15 minutes before your booked time. The meeting place is in the beachside car-park after traveling along the West Sands Road behind the dunes. There is a turning loop in the road where the sea again becomes visible on your right hand side. This is usually as far along as you can drive, so park near here and look for the X-sails.
- Approx 1 hr 30 mins from Edinburgh,
- Approx 1 hr 45 mins from Glasgow.
- Please check a map and plan your trip.
- If you miss your booking we can't rebook you.
- If you’re late we’ll start without you
View X-sail at St Andrews in a larger map
What happens on the day
Our qualified X-sail instructors will give everyone the best time possible, but always with safety in mind. Please listen carefully to their instructions and advice.
- 1 X-sail for every 2 people in the group
- Full briefing on the X-sail and safety equipment
- Instruction and demonstration
- Sail size selected for your weight
- Helmets selected for your head size
- Get the wind in your sail and start grinning.
We reserve the right to finish your session early if you don’t follow the instructions, or behave in an irresponsible way.